2013-04-05

Book Review: Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

IMG Source: ElleGoesNerd.blogspot.com
I've always been fascinated with books about death and how a person's mind works but I don't really take my full time writing a review and publishing it on my blog. Instead, I’ll just write bits and pieces of my thoughts on Goodreads after reading a book. Jay Asher's Thirteen Reasons Why, however, deserved a space on this online journal of mine and here's why:

When I first added the book on my To-Read list on Goodreads, I didn't find the need to hurry and find the book just yet. It wasn't until a few weeks ago when I saw it in the new books section on Powerbooks where I thought the title sounded a bit familiar. So I bought the book.

I was still reading The Silver Linings Playbook at the time so it took me a few days before I got to start reading the book but when I did, I just couldn't stop flipping the pages.


Unlike some bookworms, though, I don't like finishing a book in just one sitting. I like taking my time (err, days) so I could have enough time to decipher and process what is happening in the book. I like Thirteen Reasons Why not just because it's about death and how a person's mind works, but because of the lessons it will instill its reader after reading that last sentence in the book.

I'm not a goody-two-shoes kinda girl but I'm neither the bad girl in class. However, like Hannah and Clay and everyone else in that book, I've also experienced some of the things they have gone through. Not literally exactly, but the emotions that they felt when those things happen, I know how that feels like.

When I was still studying, I was regarded as one of the most laitera students in our class when it comes to school productions. Although my intentions were all good, reading Thirteen Reasons Why made me rethink whether I had done or said something to someone that kind of 'ruin' them. I'm sure I did. I can actually think of a person or two. But I'm just glad I was able to mend it before things got worse. But the main thing is we never really know how our actions might affect other people until, as in the case of Hannah Baker and those people involved, it's too late. And I, for one, wouldn't want to later discover that someone committed suicide because of something I said or did.


Another reason why I love the book is because I can relate to Hannah and her wanting to end life. Now, I know this may be a little bit TMI but I think it's time to put this out there. There were times in my life when I thought why don’t I just die? Or what if I commit suicide? Should I do it? How? And what would they think or say or do if I did? Would they be sad? Happy? Content? Who will attend my funeral? Who will do my eulogy? These things may sound alarming but I've honestly thought about these things at some point in my life. Oh, but don't worry, I wouldn't kill myself. Well, at least that's not something I can think of doing for the next few days or weeks, or months or even years. But if you're like Hannah who has gone through a lot, wronged and judged by her own peers, especially by the last person you thought can help you, taking your own life seems like the only solution to the problem.

I hope that everyone gets to read this book. It may be just a Chick Lit or a Young Adult novel, but it's something that must not be ignored, especially if you are, or know, someone who is considering suicide as their one and only solution because it's not. They have to know that if they only talk to someone, or find a way to release those frustrations and emotions out (like what I did - which is to write it out or tweet about it or post it on Facebook), suicide can be prevented. Just open up. If you can't talk about it with someone, then find something else to let it out on. And know that even when you feel like nobody cares, there is, and there always will be one person who truly cares about you.
















--
"Imitating may be the best form of flattery, but not the best form of writing."

0 shout outs: