2014-05-20

Book Review: Faking Normal (by Courtney C. Stevens)

Photo c/o: goodreads.com

This review is going to be short. I kinda like the book, but there's something missing about it that I think would make it exceptional. I just couldn't put my finger on it.
When you went through something so bad like being raped, bullied or something so horrible, you'd rather forget about and keep it within yourself. But of course you can't. Because no matter how much and how long you keep it, our secrets will always find its way out.

Trust me, I went through the same thing. Maybe not as serious as what happened with Alexi, but serious enough; something I hope I can keep from anyone else forever.
One thing I liked about Courtney C. Stevens' Faking Normal is finding strength from someone we never thought would inspire us to move forward and be brave. Bodee and Alexi found strength and hope from each other. I just wish that we get to know more about what happened when Alexi tells her parents or what her friends think.
Going through a traumatic experience and acting as if nothing happened is hard. Taking it out on yourself by trying to forget it and/or hurting yourself is even worst. If you, or someone you know is being hurt by someone else (whether physically or mentally), do something. But always remember, don't do anything until they were ready themselves. It's not your secret to tell. Let them face their own demons on their own and at the right time.













--
"Imitating may be the best form of flattery, but not the best form of writing."

0 shout outs: