2012-07-15

God Of Carnage: The Review (15 July 2012 Matinee Performance)


Before I start...





If you have watched God of Carnage then you're probably familiar with the song. It's called "I Gotta Feeling" by the Black Eyed Peas but was done in an orchestra version. I don't know where they got the song or whose version was it from (I tried searching for the Vitamin Strings Quartet but was unsuccessful), so I just got the version that sounds kinda like the one they used on the show. I hope it does sound kinda like it.



--
02:08 PM, 15th July
Photo c/o @MsLeaSalonga

The last time I was at RCBC Plaza was when we had a concert for Karangahan, which were ages ago. On my way, I didn't know what to expect as I haven't got the chance to check on what God of Carnage is all about, only that it was a Tony award-winning play and that it was turned into film last year. It was very nostalgic that I'm about to step again into the same theatre that started my career with a professional dance company. It was around 2:00 PM when I texted Betsy, asking where I can meet them and wasn't really surprised when she said that they were already there. They were always early whenever we have LEAdventures. Anyway, once I got there, we entered the auditorium a few minutes before 3:00 PM and was seated a few rows from the stage (to which, my initial reaction was, "Oh, shoot! Makikita ko kaya sila sa liit kong 'to?! I'm sure sasakit leeg ko kaka-tingala; baka hindi ko ma-enjoy yung play) but boy, was I wrong! When the house lights went out all I did for the entire show was laugh.

Around 3:00 PM, Showtime
The Set. Photo c/o BroadwayWorld.com Philippines

For a P1,600.00 show, it was well worth it. No. Actually, the ticket should have costs more because it was well directed and the actors were all great. I like the rapport that each character has with the others. Menchu Lauchengco-Yulo was a fantastic actress and was very believable as Annette. I love her. Art Acuna (aka 'Uncle Harry' in The Kitchen Musical), Alan, was good in annoying everyone with his nonstop phone calls (serves him right in the end). Adrian Pang... OMG. He's so handsome and I love his comic timing as Michael. And of course, Lea Salonga as Veronica. It's quite refreshing to see her not sing this time. The way she communicates with her eyes with her husband, Michael, oh my! It kinda reminds me of how my own Mother looks at me when she wants to tell me, makuha ka sa tingin. She is sooooooo funny! All of them. I love the little quirks they all give to their characters. I also liked that their energy and performance levels were all the same. Walang lamunan on-stage.


Speaking of little quirks...
One of the first few things I noticed about Veronica (Salonga) was how OC she was, to which I can relate to. I don't know if they have noticed it here at home but I'm very OC when it comes to a lot of things, especially inside my room. I was laughing so hard when Annette puked on her books. Oh.My.God. It was a NIGHTMARE!!! If it happened to me, I would definitely be FURIOUS. I also find Lea cussing VERY fascinating. ANG LUTONG, GRABE!

THE Clafouti Recipe

Another thing I noticed, this time with Alan (Acuna), was how he LOVES the Clafouti. I think he chomped 3 or 4 (or was it 5?) Clafoutis in a short time it seriously made me feel hungry. Maybe that Clafouti was really that delicious.
Oh, and this was in Lea's bio and I suddenly remembered her "Apple Pie A La Lea."
I wonder if she still knows how to make it?

The only disappointing part for me was the ending. It was bitin. I guess that's what happens when you're enjoying something too much; you'll get sad when it's over.

After the show:
Now, the part II of the fun begins - the Meet and Greet. It was nice to meet Manang Lea after the show. Even though there are a lot of people hovering for photos and autograph, we were lucky we got the chance to have a group pic with her. When she saw us, we instantly clapped our hands. I really don't know why we did that, but it was fun! I didn't manage to have a solo pic with her though, but it's alright. As long as we got to have one group pic with her, I'm already good with that.
Family Pic!!! AFLS Manila with Manang Lea Salonga
Photo c/o Jeff Aguiman

We also managed to have our programs signed by the rest of the cast (although I didn't get the chance to have a pic with Menchu.). All three of them were so nice and gracious to sign our program and pose for a picture. I can't wait to watch it again next week.

So to everyone who hasn't seen it yet, GO WATCH IT! The show will still run until July 22nd so go buy your tickets now. Trust me, HINDI MASASAYANG ANG PERA MO. To Lea Salonga, Menchu Lauchengco-Yulo, Art Acuna, Adrian Pang, and of course, director Bobby Garcia, CONGRATULATIONS. You deserve a standing ovation every night!

Ay! One more thing. I got slightly jealous when I saw this inside the program:

That's not fair! Why can't Manila run get a 3-week run as well?! We barely even have two weeks. )=










--
"Imitating may be the best form of flattery, but not the best form of writing."

0 shout outs: